The IEF recently hosted a webinar on ‘A vision of how education should be delivered in the 21st century’ as part of the 2021 Féile an Phobail festival.
The webinar was expertly chaired by local Broadcaster, Jim Fitzpatrick and youth panellists were invited from the five main political parties to contribute to the conversation.
We would like to extend our thanks to the youth panellists who joined the conversation and who shared their views so eloquently. These were:
- SDLP Youth: Chair, Karl W. Duncan
- Sinn Fein Youth: Ógra Shinn Féin, Chair, Caoimhín McCann
- Alliance Youth: Cllr Connie Egan
- UUP Youth: Ben Sharkey
Our thanks also go to Ulster University researchers Dr Matt Milliken and Dr Stephen Roulston who started the event with their presentation of ideas for what our education system could look like in the 21st century and which provided the basis for a really interesting and engaging debate. They highlighted the great work of current educationalists within our society while also highlighting what aspects of the education system are in need of a review.
While the panellists expressed a range of viewpoints, some key points of agreement could also be identified during the discussions, including:
- We need reform of the entire system of education
- What defines success should be redefined and broadened across all levels of the education system, requiring reform from nursery right through to Initial Teacher Training
- We should move towards a single education system
- Although it was acknowledged that there are challenges ahead, the panel expressed a sense of hope, ambition and optimism regarding the outcome of the upcoming Independent Review of Education
Comments from the general public during the webinar were generally positive regarding integrated education and strong support was expressed for the upcoming review of our education system.
You can watch the webinar again here: https://youtu.be/QJ9wc1xo_-I
The IEF is planning to host more events and webinars to help inform and encourage conversations regarding our education system and the upcoming Independent Review of Education.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please don’t hesitate to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.orgRead More